<  General Chat  ~  Future Of Truthiness

What should we do?

Do nothing, try to recruit by Trade and Forum posts.
18%
 18%

Do 1, but wait specifically for Exodar server merge to see if things make a difference.
27%
 27%

Guild transfer to a high-population Alliance server. Costs $$$.
36%
 36%

Faction change and guild transfer to a high population Horde server. Costs $$$, some people don't want to go Horde.
9%
 9%

??? Some other option. Leave your idea in a comment.
9%
 9%

Total votes : 11
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:08 pm
User avatarSite AdminPosts: 221Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:12 pm
Exodar is dead. our guild is dwindling. There are about 5 people that log on and play outside of dailies. We've found it hard to form a PVE group with our guildmates and network of friends. We also found it difficult to create an RBG team out of anyone on our server. The current thinking is that a higher population server might address this challenge and make things more fun again.

Originally I never considered a server transfer because Truthiness had a lot of friends outside of the guild. That's not really the case any more. Our guild will be 6 years old this January. I don't want to see it die, so we're considering our options.

Keep in mind how this would affect people with lots and lots of alts in our guild - we dont want people dropping a shitload of money on transferring toons, but we'd have people leaving TONS of toons with maxed profs and what not behind.

I counted 12 accounts that have logged on in the last month (that were guild members before 1 month ago). I'd like to hear input from everyone since this would affect everyone.

Poll is multi-valued because I'd like to see what everyone is open to, not just their preferred thing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:32 pm
User avatarExaltedPosts: 155Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:07 am
Okay, well it keeps telling me "invalid poll responses" when I click on submit. I would choose a combination of option 2 & 3. Essentially, I'm good with a 'wait and see' attitude until at the very least after Christmas to see if Exodar is going to get joined up with another server. I wish there was an announcement somewhere, if not with the "when" then at least with the "who", so we could plan better.

I think we should figure out exactly what we are looking for (to raid, we'll definitely be needing an OT, 2 healers and a dps I believe, plus quite frankly a couple of alternates when our main raiders can't make a night), and we could do a Trade blitz and see what happens, or who applies. We probably won't look especially appealing for any "real" raiders, but I don't think that's really who we want anyway - I only say that due to the lack of 'progress' in this current expansion. In any case, I'd definitely lean toward ensuring that the new recruits have a trial period to see if they are a good fit for us, and vice versa.

If that doesn't work (or there is still no Exodar/? realm link in 5-6 weeks), I am not against transferring to another server. My only stipulation with that is, I like my toons pretty and thus can't go horde, LOL. Can YOU imagine Nin as a troll or tauren?? I am one of those people with a ton of alts, but a) I've run out of room to 'expand' on this server, so I sort of welcome the challenge of re-leveling some new alts including their professions; and b) I feel that, as a guild, we can provide for one another when we need it because I'm sure between all of us, we should have the professions. Unless you're all engineering blacksmiths. In which case, we're screwed. ;)

At the end of the day, I'd like to be raiding again. Where that is, I don't particularly care, as long as I've got "Truthiness" under my name. I hope that someday my schedule will allow me to join in the bg fun as well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:08 am
I fixed the poll, you should really be able to vote now.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:28 pm
User avatarReveredPosts: 71Location: Columbia, MOJoined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:17 pm
I'll actually vote in a bit but here's my take on things.

First, no faction transfer. I played a Horde toon for the Double Agent achievement and I hated it. I hate the aesthetics, I hate the attitude, I even hate the architecture.

I'm really not thrilled at the prospect of a server jump, less for the cost reasons (although those would be mighty if I had to move all my dudes) but more for the fact that from what I've read on various message boards the server jump hardly ever manages to accomplish what little guilds want it to. Wherever we go, we'll be a Johnnie-come-lately guild - just another band of refugees.

I don't know if Exodar is going to be on the merger list. I kind of doubt it actually, because we're considered a stable 'Medium Pop' server. I realize recruiting from Trade and the forums has never gone well for us, mostly because we seem to just get guild hopping opportunists looking to get carried.

We've actually done better poaching quality players from bigger guilds, which we probably shouldn't say too loudly, but it is a strategy that has worked well for us in the past.

The last option is to build our bench by bringing new people into the game. I don't know if we've all exhausted our lists of people that might be interested in playing but have never gotten around to it but a new wave of WoW evangelism might get us a few more members, might it not? (I'm hoping to have a new Shaman healer willing to raid in month or so - class comes first, of course :p )

In any event, going into Warlords of Draenor, I think we ought to focus on Flex - it means we can try to recruit a roster big enough to always fill 10 man but not sink us if we can't consistently run a 25 man roster.

Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:11 pm
Neiran wrote:
First, no faction transfer. I played a Horde toon for the Double Agent achievement and I hated it. I hate the aesthetics, I hate the attitude, I even hate the architecture.

Fair enough, I think we have enough people that would rather just stick to Alliance that it's pretty well off the table at this point.

Neiran wrote:
I'm really not thrilled at the prospect of a server jump, less for the cost reasons (although those would be mighty if I had to move all my dudes) but more for the fact that from what I've read on various message boards the server jump hardly ever manages to accomplish what little guilds want it to. Wherever we go, we'll be a Johnnie-come-lately guild - just another band of refugees.

I've thought about this too and I don't know what to do about it. Bringing up the idea of a server transfer is more of a last resort than a "hey this would be cool" sort of thing.

Neiran wrote:
I don't know if Exodar is going to be on the merger list. I kind of doubt it actually, because we're considered a stable 'Medium Pop' server.

I was worried about this also. This is one of the risks in trying to wait for a merge that never happens.

Neiran wrote:
I realize recruiting from Trade and the forums has never gone well for us, mostly because we seem to just get guild hopping opportunists looking to get carried.
We've actually done better poaching quality players from bigger guilds, which we probably shouldn't say too loudly, but it is a strategy that has worked well for us in the past.

It will also be a problem because we're way behind the curve (1 boss down in SoO normal). On one hand it might be nice to get some alts of other players that have been through the whole thing to help us along, but the idealist in me wants to figure it out for myself.

Neiran wrote:
The last option is to build our bench by bringing new people into the game. I don't know if we've all exhausted our lists of people that might be interested in playing but have never gotten around to it but a new wave of WoW evangelism might get us a few more members, might it not? (I'm hoping to have a new Shaman healer willing to raid in month or so - class comes first, of course :p )

I don't speak for everyone of course, but my real-life reserves are tapped.

Neiran wrote:
In any event, going into Warlords of Draenor, I think we ought to focus on Flex - it means we can try to recruit a roster big enough to always fill 10 man but not sink us if we can't consistently run a 25 man roster.

Boo. Not my call though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:16 pm
ninde wrote:
I think we should figure out exactly what we are looking for

This is also part of the problem. Speaking for myself here's what I want in order I think:

- Normal or Heroic raiding (Heroic or Mystic in WoD).
- Casual BGs
- Rated BGs

ninde wrote:
I'd definitely lean toward ensuring that the new recruits have a trial period to see if they are a good fit for us, and vice versa.

Yea, we definitely need to bring this back.

ninde wrote:
I am not against transferring to another server.

The confusion for me is I wouldn't want to shell out the $$$ to transfer my little dinky alts to another server (would probably transfer Salovia, Lolotov and Morpork), but then if we do transfer, they are left in a level 1 gutted guild and I'd never log back over to them in all likelihood. The problem is even more complicated with folks like you and feld who keep more than 1 or 2 toons dusted off.

ninde wrote:
as a guild, we can provide for one another when we need it because I'm sure between all of us, we should have the professions. Unless you're all engineering blacksmiths. In which case, we're screwed. ;)

Professions matter so little these days I'm not even worried about that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:19 pm
Another unmentioned option is switching games. Mizz and I have been playing SWTOR more lately and it's pretty fun. We miss not having you guys around, but we do still have the Truthiness guild we started back a while ago.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:33 pm
User avatarReveredPosts: 71Location: Columbia, MOJoined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:17 pm
I've been doing a little research vis a vis the whole Connected Realms deal.

According to Blizz, the next batch of servers to get connected will be:

Andorhol and Ursin
Darrowmere and Windrunner
Quel'dori and Senjin
Velen and Eonar.

So, looking at Realmpop.com, the population of Velen is 57,922 while the population of Eonar is 60,152. Both realms have a relatively stable ratio of Horde/Alliance.

Looking at Exodar, we have a population of 59,425, which would seem to put us in the same range. So it seems like we will eventually see a server merge here.

Interesting note: it seems that they are not trying to keep all connected realms in the same time zone - Velen is PST and Eonar is EST.

I'd hate to simply abandon WoW for another game because I think there's still a lot of mileage to be had here - but that doesn't mean I wouldn't play something else in addition. I wasn't very keen on The Old Republic the first go round, though. We are very interested in The Elder Scrolls Online and I know of another 2 or 3 that might end up playing that. There's also the completely rebuilt Final Fantasy XIV to consider.

Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:03 pm
User avatarExaltedPosts: 155Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:07 am
I just came back! lol Like Neiran, I'd consider 'in addition to' vs changing games entirely. I know that I will be playing Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls when it comes out on PC (although they'll totally get a double purchase from me if it's released for PS3 as well). With the new guild or clan or whatever addition, as well as the loot drop changes, it might work as a viable option. :) Alternatively, I haven't played SWTOR but I think it's gone free to play? Pretty sure I downloaded it at some point but I never started it up. I'm open to new games, but I know that WoW will keep pulling me back in.

In regards to real life recruits, my brother has started to play again. He has played on and off for years... I know he raided 40 mans back in the day. Anyway, he has levelled his paladin up and started gearing him a bit this weekend. He has crap gear now, but he "possibly" interested in joining us as a healer. He is on a different realm, though, and he's pretty happy with the extremely low population right now. I don't think he can join us this week, but perhaps next week he might be able to join us for a Flex run and see if he fits in.

Quote:
Quote:
Neiran wrote:

Boo. Not my call though.

Heh. Well, the cool part with WoD is that if we do attract more than 10 raiders, it won't matter because Flex will be Normal then. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:34 pm
Neiran wrote:
So it seems like we will eventually see a server merge here.

Damn fine sleuthing. That's encouraging.

Neiran wrote:
I'd hate to simply abandon WoW for another game because I think there's still a lot of mileage to be had here - but that doesn't mean I wouldn't play something else in addition.

Nah not abandon - supplement. It'll be a long time before I walk away from sal and tov.

Neiran wrote:
I wasn't very keen on The Old Republic the first go round, though.

Since it's gone Free-To-Play, mizz and I picked it back up since we have already paid for the game itself. They have adopted/stolen a TON of stuff from WoW, but also innovated in some ways. We both liked enough to become subscribers. The game is FUCKING ANNOYING about becoming a subscriber though - lots of really stupid shit like not being able to select certain quest rewards unless you're a subscriber, etc. All of that sort of stuff is in the long run trivial, but still very much annoying.

Neiran wrote:
We are very interested in The Elder Scrolls Online and I know of another 2 or 3 that might end up playing that. There's also the completely rebuilt Final Fantasy XIV to consider.

I was really looking forward to the ESO beta, but it wouldn't run for me so I didn't get to check it out. I hadn't even thought of FF14 again.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:37 pm
ninde wrote:
I haven't played SWTOR but I think it's gone free to play? Pretty sure I downloaded it at some point but I never started it up. I'm open to new games, but I know that WoW will keep pulling me back in.

It's Free-To-Play, but you still have to purchase the game itself.

ninde wrote:
I don't think he can join us this week, but perhaps next week he might be able to join us for a Flex run and see if he fits in.

Bring this up to OG.

ninde wrote:
Heh. Well, the cool part with WoD is that if we do attract more than 10 raiders, it won't matter because Flex will be Normal then. :)

I was under the impression that things were getting easier - not harder. Current Flex difficulty will become the new Normal difficulty. Current Normal will be renamed to Heroic. Mythic is the new hardmode/heroic, but fixed at 20 players. Is that not right?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:44 am
UPDATE: We are being merged with Medivh. No actual date on when it will happen yet, but we are at least now on the "coming soon" list.

Profile WWW