[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
• View topic - BlizzCon 2011 Stuff

<  Off Topic  ~  BlizzCon 2011 Stuff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:48 pm
User avatarReveredPosts: 71Location: Columbia, MOJoined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:17 pm
Greetings from Anaheim!

For continued coverage of BlizzCon related events and general rambling visit my blog at:

http://augustus.typepad.com/horizon_zero

I'll also copy over critical stuff, like say new expansion info, to this thread.

Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:01 pm
User avatarReveredPosts: 71Location: Columbia, MOJoined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:17 pm
My connection sucks, so stand by for a data dump.

Day One Impressions

First off, Blizzard has made massive strides in their crowd control. I got in line this morning at 8:50 and was inside the convention center and seated by 9:10.

Opening ceremonies kicked off promptly at 11:00, with a retrospective look back at Blizzard's 20 year history.

Some fun stats:

WoW has now been translated into 10 languages.

26,000 people are attending BlizzCon in person. Over 100k are watching the DirecTV feed, and it is being simulcast in Chinese and Korean.

Since BliizCon 2010 Blizzard has raised over $2.7 million for charitable purposes, including tsunami relief, support for the Make A Wish program and others.

Blizzard is supporting Barcraft nights - where local establishments host Starcraft II matches and shoutcast them.

Participants from all over the world are competing for over $300,000 in cash, prizes and equipment at BlizzCon this year.

Nifty, but what about the important stuff?

Diablo III is will release "when it's done" but "it's really close to being done".

The Collector's Edition of D3 was announced. Contents include in-game items for WoW, D3 and SC2; A D3 Artbook and Soundtrack, and a Soulstone USB drive preloaded with Diablo II. Also, the USB drive will fit into a miniature Diablo skull. Seriously.

The big deal, and what I took as the first broadside aimed at a certain other MMO, was the announcement that if you are a subscriber to the new WoW Annual Pass (basically signing up for a year's worth of WoW) then you get Diablo III for free. And you get Tryrael's Charger, a sweet looking mount for WoW. AND you get a guaranteed invite into the WoW expansion beta.

One thing that came as a surprise to me was Blizzard DOTA, which is a League of Legends thing they had talked about last year. They've really been at it, because it will be available relatively soon.

The big news is, of course, Mists of Pandaria. Let's run down the feature list

- New playable race - Pandaren. Playable as BOTH Alliance and Horde, mind you.
- New class - Monk. Playable by all races EXCEPT Goblin and Worgen.
- Level cap to 90, as expected
- Challenge Dungeons - timed runs using normalized ilevel equipment for a level playing field
- PVE scenarios - quest style world events that don't fall into the usual tank/healer/dps mold
- Pet Battle System - World of Pokemon.
- Talent System 2.0 - A complete rework of talent trees, specs, abilities, etc

They want to get people out of Stormwind/Orgrimmar and back into the world, so look for outdoor world raids and world bosses like the 4 dragons or Doom Lord Kazzak

The continent of Pandaria is made up of 5 new zones, one unified land mass unlike the scattered zones in Cata. There will be a single hub with Auction House, bank and quests.

No flying in Pandaria until you cap 90. They felt that the instant flying in Cata - while it made sense logically - took away from the questing experience and added to some of the dissatisfaction with the 80 - 85 process.

While there are only 5 zones each one is roughly twice the size of the Twilight Highlands in Cata, so plenty of content space, and when you consider that you won't be able to fly at first that's a lot of new land to traverse.

Zones mentioned today:

Jade Forest - entry level zone for both Alliance and Horde
Valley of the Four Winds
Kun-Lai Summit

The Pandaren starting zone is called the Wandering Isle, and it is literally that. The entire zone rests on the back of a giant sea turtle.

Pandaran will be neutral for their first ten levels, then choose to align with the Alliance or Horde. No changing your mind, either.

Many new sentient races in Pandaria
Jinyu - fish people. Will be courted by the Horde
Hazu - monkey men. Will be courted by the Alliance
Verming - best described as rabid bunny rabbits armed with utensils.
Mantid - Insect people. Will feature in dungeon/raid content
Mogu - the original inhabitants of the continent. Coming back and pissed off. Will be dungeon/raid enemies

Then there's The Sha, which is literally a manifestation of bad energy caused by conflict. Which is in high supply due to the Ally/Horde war spilling over onto Pandaria. The Pandarans are naturally annoyed by this.

Pandaran racials:

- Epicurean - Food bonuses doubled
- Gourmond - +15 to cooking, plus some other undecided features
- Inner Peace - Rested XP lasts twice as long
- Bouncy - take 50% less falling dmg
- Quaking Palm - strike puts enemies to sleep for 3 secs

Monk specs

- Brewmaster - Tank
- Mistweaver - Healer
- Windwalker - Melee DPS

NOT a hero class.

Use Chi for energy system, build Light and Dark energy for combos.
No auto attack, they want a more Street Fighter feel to the class

Challenge mode will have Bronze, Silver, Gold medals. Gear levels are normalized, rewards include Valor Points and "sweet gear with no stats" intended for use with transmog.

Challenge mode leaderboards for "competitive PVE"

Pet Battle System - Collect, level and fight with pets. Accessible to all levels, works with almost every pet in the game. Pets can be customized.

Wild pets = rare spawns that can be battled and acquired. May have seasonal or other conditional availability.

Pet journal = pokedex.

Pets are tradable, and account wide. Retroactively so.

Pet battle is turn based. Go play pokemon, you'll figure it out.

Dungeons:

6 new dungeons in Pandaria. Heroic Scholomance and Scarlet Monastery.

3 starter Raids.

2 new PVP battlefields, 1 new arena

Account wide Achievements

Ranged weapons are Hunter ONRY. Hunter melee slot = gone. Hunter min range = gone. Relic slot = gone. Rogues and warriors will throw weapons for ranged attack.

Wands are now main hand weapons.

Warlocks are getting new energy systems for Demon and Destruction specs.
Druids will have 4 specs, Feral, Guardian, Resto, Balance
Shaman will no longer have buff totems

I copied the data for all the class talent trees, but I suggest just looking at the pretty pictures on Wow Insider.

This is long enough for now. Going back to stand in line for the Pandaren demo. More later.

Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:12 pm
User avatarFriendlyPosts: 13Location: Oregon via MassachusettsJoined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:43 pm
I'm disliking the talent changes, though I might change my mind when I learn more about them.

I am SO totally gonna get the DS collector's edition, if only for that skull. It's bad ass. And I have two glass skull candleholders that would looks sweet next to it.

And the Pandarian "Bouncy - take 50% less falling dmg" ability? Yeah, been singing the Gummi Bears theme song since I heard that.

Clandestine
Kalliopie
Saphea
Dawnbreaker
Tiddleewinks
Riblet
Sangue (bank toon)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:35 pm
User avatarSite AdminPosts: 221Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:12 pm
I am incredibly jealous. Post your photos!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:00 pm

Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:35 pm
User avatarSite AdminPosts: 221Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:12 pm
I strained but could not find you in the reflection. >:[

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:03 pm

Profile WWW