<  Off Topic  ~  You Suck, Bioware

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:15 pm
User avatarReveredPosts: 71Location: Columbia, MOJoined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:17 pm
So I'm once again unable to get into SW:TOR. The new emergency patch (which had to be implemented because people found a way to dupe items and generate literally MILLIONS of credits per minute) has me stuck at the launcher again, downloading the entire freaking game again because the patch files were corrupt.

Poking around on the forums, I then find this gem:

"I just got done with a 2 hour jaunt through multiple countries in Europe including Ireland and India. I have been having problems with the launcher trying to re-download the game over and over as well as my gaming pad and mouse suddenly not being compatible.

My first call was to a tier 1 tech in india, I explained to him that I have re-downloaded the game 5 times and installed fresh from disk 4 over the past 5 days. He explained to me that on monday an initial patch was released that contained the potential for a corrupted file on a specific download server, he then told me that upon its discovery that it was taken down and fixed. He also told me that they had, in fact, disabled any and all macro support from gaming peripheral, with no known time when they would be supported again. I asked to be transferred to the billing dept.

The billing dept I spoke to is located in Ireland and the gentleman I spoke too was actually extremely understanding and helpful. Upon me re-capping the conversation with tier 1 he asked me to hold, and when he came back he told me that he spoke to the tier 3 in his building and they wanted to work with me to try to fix these issues. He then told me that upon completion of my call with tier 3 I would be offered compensation for my troubles.

The next person who answered the phone refused to tell me anything other than that his office was located in Europe. He was a tier 3 tech representative and was amazing nice, then he told me that the billing representative had relayed the information pertaining to my account to him. He explained that at this point the company realizes that I had been given to much information and that they would like to walk through my game files to find what had been corrupted and help me re-write the files on the phone. 30 minutes and 15 files later my launcher worked and my game launched. I was transferred back to billing.

The next person was in Asia, he started the conversation with "thank you for being so understanding Mr. *******, we realize that at this point you have a great deal of information that we do not want getting out, so what can we do for you". I wont disclose the details of what was done to my account, however I will say that for a company to ask me to not disclose information to the public they made a poor effort to motivate me.

The one last thing that all of you should know is that they knowingly disabled gaming peripherals. The tech told me that they had problems with logitech gaming devices providing an unfair advantage over non users and so their technical solution was to just disable them across the board.

I think that the community asked and begged enough, bioware/EA decided to not provide answers/solution and tried to maintain plausible deniability, but sadly lose lips sink ships. I'll probably lose my account over this but oh well, if my 60 dollars helps thousands of others then so be it. "

Is that true? I dunno, you see a lot of crap on forums. I DO know, however, that I have 9 GB of perfectly fine files to redownload.

Dammit, I WANT to like this game. But it's doing everything in its power to piss me off, it seems. And its 'defenders' online aren't helping any...

Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:50 pm
User avatarSite AdminPosts: 221Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:12 pm
I haven't played SWTOR in a few days and after reading your post, I started the client, and spent 3 minutes downloading a patch and 8 minutes applying a patch. It started up for me on the first go and I was able to log in.

I know that you know this doesn't mean anything, I just wanted to relay that it's been pretty painless for me and mizz (so far, knock on wood). Reading your story and that forum post is pretty....scary though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:05 pm
User avatarReveredPosts: 71Location: Columbia, MOJoined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:17 pm
I've downloaded Main Assets 1 (the initial 11gb file) 3 times tonight.

I've read that they think it was an issue with the community distribution network - that the patch data was corrupt on some of the servers.

Honestly, at this point I don't really care.

Profile WWW